Sunday, August 9, 2026

Inspiration for Writing about Caves

 Inspiration for Writing about Caves

When I was planning to write about dwarves living in caves for FRIGG'S JOURNEY TO ANASGAR, I needed to visit an actual cave to learn about them firsthand. I'd toured local lava tube caves known as the Ape Caves near Mt. St. Helens, but their long tunnel structure hadn't exactly given me the inspiration I needed to imagine the daily lives of a large multi-generational colony of dwarves and refugee magical folk. So, my husband and I headed south to spend some time at the Oregon Caves National Monument and Preserve, https://www.nps.gov/orca/index.htm

High up in the Siskiyou Mountains, the Oregon Caves have several enormous chambers that gave me so many ideas for the distinctive caverns and grottos inside the mountain of Nadavir in my book, where I could visualize settings for my story. The mining operation of the lower Nadavir caverns, the beauty and silence of the Cathedral Cave where dwarves are honored, and the twists and turns of the puzzling Maze Cave were all imagined during this visit. Although the Oregon Caves did not have the Breathing Cave that I conceived for my book, I was struck by the overwhelming sensation that many of the caves I visited possessed an almost living quality.

I became a bit claustrophobic while inside the caves, but I have to say that the scariest part of the trip was the drive to the Chateau (which is currently closed for repairs) where we stayed near the cave entrance. The road is winding and narrow with many drop-offs and flimsy or no guardrails!

If you are interested in what it’s like inside the caves, here are some videos that you might like:

I really enjoyed this video of the tour by OffRouteExplorers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msot05AE2iI

There are some great videos at the OregonCavesNPS YouTube channel, including this one about the cave tour precautions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sVgAaW2N0I

Website & Social Media:

Website             https://debcushman.com

Facebook          https://www.facebook.com/debcushmanwriter/

Instagram         https://www.instagram.com/cushmandeb

X                      https://x.com/DebCushman

Bluesky              https://bsky.app/profile/debcushman.bsky.social

Threads             https://www.threads.com/@cushma


  Deb Cushman's Chronicles of Nadavir

Frigg's Journey to Anasgar
Ping's Mystery in Pixiandria

 

1 comment:

  1. Having visited those same caverns, I can see how they inspired Nadavir.

    ReplyDelete

Inspiration for Writing about Caves

  Inspiration for Writing about Caves When I was planning to write about dwarves living in caves for FRIGG'S JOURNEY TO ANASGAR, I nee...